Jonathan:

Yeah. That seems likely.

However, I feel "closer" to my database after removing zope.sqlalchemy from
the mix. I guess I'm at a point where there is such a thing as too much
abstraction. . ?

BTW, I did give the nested tx a try, but as we both now know it did not
work, and probably for the reasons you cited. That extra notification to
the transaction manager would likely have done the trick.

For me, right now, it is best to simply remove the zope stuff before the
app gets too big. While I hate to go backward in time, I also like SQLA so
much precisely because it gives me so much control.

A fair trade-off to my way of thinking. Persistence matters, and that's why
some people might read this.

Thanks again. . .