it looks like you're trying to add an ORDER BY to the table that's only there
via joinedload().    That's *really* not something we anticipate and it would
be better if people proposed perhaps ad-hoc order_by expressions to be added to
common loader options like joinedload() and selectinload(), in the same way
that we offer ad-hoc WHERE criteria for these options now.   as you are
probably aware, the current way to do "joinedload with custom criteria /
ordering / etc" is to write the query using outerjoin() and order_by()
normally, then use contains_eager().

the general thing we see here looks like when your "col_by_name()" routine
runs, it's getting a Column object that's associated with a different alias
than the one that is used when joinedload() writes out the joins.   I'm not
sure offhand if the issue is in col_by_name() or something architectural that
makes the joinedload() join receive additional processing that isn't including
the order_by.    It's hard for us to support this kind of transformation for
joined eager loads.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/36d0b427-0c40-4815-8fb2-9162904ad8e4%40app.fastmail.com.