On 2/7/06, Jim C. Nasby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 07:31:50AM +0100, Nemanja Corlija wrote:
> > > Well, that certainly won't help things... at a minimum, on your machine,
> > > you should change the following:
> > > shared_buffers=10000
> > > effective_cache_size=100000
> > >
> > > The following should also help:
> > > work_mem=10000
> > > vacuum_cost_delay=50
> > > autovacuum=on
> > > autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor=0.2
> > Sure, I could do that. But then I'd also need to tune all other
> > databases to make things fair and that's not really what I intended to
> > do here. I want to keep things as "out of the box" as possible.
>
> Then you should just drop PostgreSQL from the tests, because they're not
> doing anyone any good. It's pretty well known that the default
> postgresql.conf is meant to allow for bringing the database up on a
> machine with very minimal hardware. It's the equivalent to using MySQL's
> minimum configuration file.

OK, I've changed above settings but now I get even worse performance.
265.223 seconds.
File I've edited is C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\data\postgresql.conf
AFAICT that's the one. Then I've restarted postgres. I guess that
should load new settings?
Then I ran VACUUM ANALYZE t2;

Hmmm, now I ran that same script from pgAdmin and it completed in 5 seconds.
I guess its reasonable to assume that psql is actually the bottleneck
here. I tried redirecting to file but that was a minute ago and it's
still running. Any ideas?
--
Nemanja Corlija <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>