B V, Phanisekhar wrote:
What exactly happens when I change the cache_size (both increase and
decrease size)?

A variable is set.

It seems this term is a misnomer. What are we achieving by setting this
variable?

[...]

Will there be any memory that will be freed up when I reduce the size
of result cache?

No.

So whats there in this cache?

I'd have thought setting the cache size was (meant to be) a one-off operation? Changing the cache size on the fly and expecting the cache to be valid must be an unusual case (well, it is to me and I've not seen anyone else asking about it) so I reckon you'd be better off looking at the source code, doing a few tests of your own and reporting back.

Martin