OK, Sqlite will scale just as well on a single processor machine with few
drives as any big RDBMS.   If Sqlite was to take a turn to compete in areas
it does not already dominate clearly, it would be in scale.  If sqlite could
take advantage of multiple processors and drives that would be huge, but
again that adds a ton of complexity to the architecture of the database.  As
time goes on and AMD and Intel start pumping out 64-bit processors, we are
going to see some really scalable Sqlite databases with NO additional
complexities added to the code other than what you are already doing.  So my
point here is I see the database staying SIMPLE and FAST, and as hardware
allows you can run much larger dbs.

Now, one thing to think about is grid computing.  Ironically, Oracle, Secret
(SQL) Server (as I call it), and the other major vendors are moving to a
simpler model of distributing across multiple machines.  Trying to scale
their databases to expensive hardware is going out because it is so much
cheaper to go out and get multiple mass produced machines and put them
together to get massive parallel processing (and run Suse or Red Crap(oops I
mean hat).  If you were to head these other vendors off at the pass on this
one, you would add the ability to simply distribute a database across
machine boundaries.  Some sort of Distributed Transaction Coordinator like
in Secret Server would make Sqlite (as I put my finger on my mouth as in
Austin Powers) 1 MILLION DOLLARS!

Thanks,
Allan