On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 06:24:10PM +0100, Steve O'Hara wrote:

> However, I'm wondering why we're comparing SQLite with kernel based RDBMS
> like Oracle etc, and not with it's more closely related cousins such as
> Access ?

In my case, because I am very familiar with Oracle, somewhat less so
with PostgreSQL, and much less familiar with most other databases.
Also, because databases like Oracle and PostgreSQL are the current
gold standard for functionality.  Why compare to anything less?

> In this regard, how does SQLite compare with Access/FoxPro/Paradox/dBase ?

Because none of those are Real Databases?  ;)  [Joking, joking...]

Well, MOSTLY joking.  Actually, I've no idea to what extent those each
qualify as "Real Databases" (aka, full ACIDity, featureful, designed
and implented by folks who have a clue, etc.).

However, I am reasonably sure that they're neither as powerful as
PostgreSQL nor as small and simple as SQLite, and that none of them
are Open Source.  Therefore, they are not particularly interesting -
not to me anyway.

--
Andrew Piskorski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.piskorski.com/