The policy so far has been that file formats within a major
version (i.e 3) are forwards compatible - files created by older versions
can be read/written by newer versions.

Sometimes features are added that mean newer versions can create
files that may not be used by older versions. If you don't use those
features, your files should be backwards compatible. For example,
files created with the "auto-vacuum" feature (version 3.1 and later)
are read-only for library versions 3.0.x. If you use "ALTER TABLE ... ADD
COLUMN" (currently cvs only) your files can't be used by versions earlier
than 3.1.4.

It seems likely this policy will continue.