On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 01:56:16PM -0500, Ned Batchelder wrote:

> I decided for my own work that magic nested transactions are a bad idea.  To
> properly handle errors and rollback the database, you need to know where the
> edges of the transaction really are.  Fully-supported nested transactions

Sounds like excellent advice to me.  AKA, don't lie to the application
about what the transaction is really doing.

Some bigger databases (I forget which) give you real nested
transactions, some (like Oracle) don't, but give you savepoints
instead, which are equivalent but with slightly different syntax.

I think I've only ever used savepoints in one Oracle project, and that
only in 4 or 5 places in one module of a fairly large and complicated
project.  So, although savepoints or nested transactions are nice, it
seems entirely reasonable to me that a small and simple database like
SQLite doesn't have them at all.  Heck, I don't think even PostgreSQL
had them until version 8.0.

--
Andrew Piskorski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.piskorski.com/