On 28 Oct 2016, at 12:47, Simon Slavin wrote:

It guess it comes down to what one wants from "INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT". If the requirement is only-ever-increasing then this is a bug.

The behaviour described at https://sqlite.org/autoinc.html seems to match this requirement:

If a column has the type INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT then a slightly different ROWID selection algorithm is used. The ROWID chosen for the new row is at least one larger than the largest ROWID that has ever before existed in that same table.

It looks to me as if there is a bug, and I'ld prefer to see the behaviour reported by
  the OP as buggy, rather than what is documented.

  Best regards,
  Niall O'Reilly