On Tuesday, 15 November, 2016 15:30, R Smith wrote:

>> > If you’re going to go to this trouble, at least use SHA256!
>> >
>> > MD5 is broken. These days no one should be using it for anything,
>> > except
>> when needed for compatibility with legacy formats/protocols.
>>
>> This strikes me as one of those statements that, upon hearing that a
>> rocket failed to land upright, cries out: "OMG, this is the end of
>> Space exploration as we know it!".
>>
>> MD5 is not broken. What would broken mean? It still hashes a byte
>> array just as good as it always did producing an easy key to check and
>> compare against. Sure, for ultimate safety systems you /should/ note
>> that the hashes /could/ possibly be brute-forced to, in the minimum
>> case, reproduce a duplicate answer for a different byte-list.
>
>All hash functions that take an input that is larger (longer) that the output
>must by definition have collisions.  There is no if, and, or but about it.  If
>you input every 513 bit sequence >into SHA-512 you WILL WITH ABSOLUTE
>CERTAINTY obtain the same 512 bit hash result at least twice.

This is the pigeon(hole) principle, attributed to the German mathematician
Peter Gustav Lejeune Dirichlet, who is noted to have used this argument in 1834.

 Gunter Hick
Software Engineer
Scientific Games International GmbH
FN 157284 a, HG Wien
Klitschgasse 2-4, A-1130 Vienna, Austria
Tel: +43 1 80100 0
E-Mail: h...@scigames.at

This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the
intended recipient(s) only and may contain information that is confidential,
privileged or legally protected. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this
in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail message and
delete all copies of the original communication. Thank you for your cooperation.