Behalf Of Richard Hipp
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 3:35 PM
To: SQLite mailing list
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Why this query plan?

On 1/12/17, David Raymond <david.raym...@tomtom.com> wrote:

> In the same vane I assume DRH's random ordering would be only random by page
> of results. If you have 100+ million records in a table then keeping track
> of which ones you've randomly picked so far would cripple systems with the
> tracking requirements and with the slowdown of skipping all over the file.
> Shuffling the order is one thing, killing performance is another.

The idea is that as each new database connection is opened, the
reversed_unordered_selects pragma
(https://www.sqlite.org/pragma.html#pragma_reverse_unordered_selects)
would be enabled or disabled at random.  That means that results might
be backwards from one run to the next, but within the same run they
would always be the same.  That is not really "random" but I think it
should be sufficient to find instances of omitted ORDER BY clauses, at
least for the case where the developers test their application more
than once or twice.
--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org