> On Jan 30, 2017, at 9:10 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:
>
> Nope.  Cannot do that.  Any number of things might happen between the first
> _step() and the _finalize().  For all you know someone might delete the
> object the iterator is currently on instead of just updating it.  Then where
> would the iterator be ?

As I explained, my assumption was that the iteration operated on a snapshot of
the database at the time it was started, i.e. at the first call to
sqlite3_step. There are other databases that operate that way, although I now
understand SQLite doesn’t.

I understand the situation. And I outlined two ways around the problem. So this
isn’t a blanket “Cannot do that” situation, unless you’re saying I can’t do it
the way I’ve been dong it … but I already know that! That’s why I posted my
question. Reiterating it doesn’t help.

> How would you know to release the resource ?  And once you knew it, how would
> you do it ?

I don’t follow. What’s the “resource” you’re talking about here?

—Jens