On Jan 31, 2017 6:25 PM, "James K. Lowden" <jklow...@schemamania.org> wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 15:50:08 -0800
Nathan Bossett <nboss...@pierb.com> wrote:

> Since this is the sqlite users list and not the dev's list, can I ask
> what your use case is that writing a thin wrapper around SQLITE
> doesn't solve your problem?

I've encountered no problem compiling SQLite header files as C11.

The OP encountered a problem compiling SQLite itself as C89 because
there was a C99 construct his compiler didn't support.  The fix was to
"update" the code to conform to a 17-year old standard.

I wondered aloud what system still exists that supports only C89.  On
review of this thread, there is indeed one such compiler in widespread
use: Microsoft Visual Studio.[1]

An older Visual C++ compiler. Not all versions. Anyone could download a
newer compiler for Windows, even Visual C++. See
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9610747/which-c99-features-are-available-in-the-ms-visual-studio-compiler
for some commentary on feature support.

Windows doesn't come with a compiler, so telling someone on Windows they
need a newer compiler isn't the end of the world, necessarily. Not all
platforms have as much support as Windows. Not that one needs to support
all those platforms. Say cc65... Probably isn't going to ever work.

Despite the fact that the Windows API is defined in terms of C,

ANSI C. And C++. And C# / CLR. Just not C99.