In the documentation of EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN[1], I found the following:

>     sqlite> EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN SELECT a, b FROM t1 WHERE a=1;
>     0|0|0|SCAN TABLE t1
> The example above shows SQLite estimating that the full-table scan will visit
> approximately 100,000 records.

There’s no justification given for the number 100,000. It doesn’t appear in the
output of the command, and there’s nothing on the page that describes table t1
or the size of the data set.

The next example:

>     sqlite> CREATE INDEX i1 ON t1(a);
>     sqlite> EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN SELECT a, b FROM t1 WHERE a=1;
>     0|0|0|SEARCH TABLE t1 USING INDEX i1

> […] SQLite estimates that about 10 records will match the "a=1" term.

Again, no justification for the number 10. Even knowing the table has 100k
records, I can’t see how one can derive that the search will visit 10 of them.

—Jens

[1]: https://www.sqlite.org/eqp.html