Hi

I have a database which describes the various phases of a product lifecycle -
one table per phase, one row per product. This is accessed by an application
(developed in Gambas3) which displays the entire lifecycle of each product in a
grid - left to right. Each phase also has its own maintenance form. This works
fine and does everything I need it to do.

My question regards the SQL I've used to populate the grid. I'm no SQL guru, so
joining all the tables together in a single view using multiple nested left
joins is probably beyond my comfort level. I have approached the problem by
creating multiple views which join two tables together and then chaining them
together e.g

vw1 joins t1 and t2, vw2 joins t3 to vw1, vw3 joins t4 to vw2 and so on. The
final view returns all the data and is used to populate the grid.

While this gets the job done I'm wondering if it might be inefficient in
performance terms, as I assume that sqlite functions have to resolve each view
in turn to build up the query before delivering the result.

Would I be better off building a single complex query or does the ease of
maintenance and relative simplicity of my current approach outweigh any
performance deficits? At the moment I have around 350 product lines and the
application performance is good, but this is expected to grow to about 5000
product lines.

Grateful for any comments and suggestions.

Nige