On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

> > On Feb 10, 2017, at 5:59 AM, Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > 2) ask DRH to consider enhancing SQLite's built-in printf() to support it
> > out-of-the-box.
>
> I disagree; this is feature bloat. SQLite is an embedded database, and the
> host app can do whatever it wants with the data, such as formatting it.
> There is no serious need to make SQLite into a Swiss army knife that can do
> all sorts of things that the host app could easily do itself.
>
> > But when you use SQLite to create databases to be viewed in any SQLite
> > client, as is the case here, you're limited to what SQLite provides
> out-of-the-box.
>

> I don’t see that use case as being as important as the primary ones. I
> suppose you can look at SQLite as a sort of interchange format for database
> client apps, but putting SQLite itself in charge of user interface features
> like localized number formatting is wrong-headed.
>
> I think you’re much better off going to the developers of the client apps
> that you use and asking them to add improved number formatting in their UI.
>
> —Jens

​I agree with J​ens. SQLite is not PostgreSQL, or even MySQL. For my part,
if I want a fancy data base, I go with PostgreSQL. At least for me, SQLite
is a really nice relational data store with an SQL interface which I use
when, in the past, I would have used some other application specific data
store (e.g. Berkeley DB or GDB). What I like about it is that I can, if I'm
careful, "scale up" from SQLite to a more powerful RDMBS like PostgreSQL if
my application needs to go from being "one user at a time" to "multiple
concurrent users". Just my opinion, of course. Others may reasonably
disagree.

--
Our calculus classes are an integral part of your education.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown