> On Feb 10, 2017, at 2:45 AM, Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Honestly Clemens? There wouldn't be a built-in printf() and substr() etc...
> if that was the case.

Not really. Those aren’t necessarily intended to format data for display, and
I’ve never used them for that. For example I might use printf() to construct a
primary key string out of several values from a query, or substr to compare one
component of a string value against something.
I wouldn't put UI-level formatting in SQL queries, because it doesn’t belong
there; it belongs at the view level of the application, not the model.

—Jens