I'm an iOS and macOS developer.  Mac app bundles are special in other ways
beside just having a bit set.  For one, there's a security check somewhere that
verifies that the app bundle has not been changed, as those files are expected
to be read-only.  Apple says apps should put their data elsewhere (e.g.,
~/Documents/).  I'd never store a file that I write to in the app bundle.

Jeff