On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 5:43 PM, petern <peter.nichvolo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Speaking of type string lifetime, what about pointer lifetime management?
>
> I think you've overlooked the pointer lifetime problem for
> sqlite3_result_pointer(C,P,T).   This form, unlike the blob form, lacks the
> destructor callback for cleanup when SQLite determines the scope of the
> last statement using a copy of the pointer value has exited. Your use case
> appears to presume that a virtual table is managing the pointer object.
> Either that or this mechanism is only otherwise used for global pointer
> variables.   Is there another way for the host application to be notified
> that the last statement using the pointer value has exited scope?

FWIW, I had exactly the same thought. W/o a destructor, this new feature
seems like
it's missing an essential piece, although I'm not sure I understand this
new feature correctly.

It's just that when I see raw pointers being passed around, with no
"lifetime attached",
reflexes kick in and make me worry about leaks, accesses to "dead"
pointers, etc... --DD

PS: That document would be mighty useful Richard :)