1. Why are these functions missing from the obtaining/setting pages?  Are
they not recommended for some reason?  I'd like to know if they are on the
way out because, obviously, these solve the BLOB typing problem for
functions directly and I'm now using them.

https://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/result_subtype.html

Why not mentioned here?  https://sqlite.org/draft/c3ref/result_blob.html

https://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/value_subtype.html

Why not mentioned here?  https://sqlite.org/draft/c3ref/value_blob.html

2. These functions convey only the lower 8 bits of information and there
there is no corresponding sqlite3_bind_subtype() but there is mention of
expanding the number of bits in future SQLite versions. I take it the
present 8 bits API can't be extended to a new sqlite3_bind_subtype()
function for performance reasons?  Even 8 bits could hash a modest cache of
application pointers.  Just asking.