Seems to be working as advertised. Unless you specify --disable-tcl, the
configure script defaults to building an sqlite extension for TCL.

The extension can't go in $PREFIX, since tcl wouldn't be able to find it.
So your options for a non-root install are:

1) --disable-tcl
2) set the environment variable TCLLIBDIR to somewhere you have write
access (presumably you'll also need to configure tcl to look here for
extensions)
3) install your own tcl to $PREFIX and make sure its tclsh is the first one
in your $PATH

-Rowan