Hi Larry,

Since you mention sqlite3.exe, I assume you're on Windows.

Kudos for compiling your own exe, but if, in future, you find you don't
need special compile features, you can always download the current version
exe from http://sqlite.org/download.html  .

If I understand you correctly, you'll want to go to a Windows cmd prompt
screen,
then type
   sqlite3   YourDatabasename

This should open your database and give you a prompt for
sqlite sql commands and "dot" commands

https://sqlite.org/cli.html

There are also many windows GUI utilities (written by third-parties) which
you may find useful.

As to adding a column, the simplest method is to use the ALTER TABLE command
    http://sqlite.org/lang_altertable.html
but you may also choose to copy the existing table into a newly-defined
table, then remove the old one and rename.