You know that you can use the hidden columns by name in the WHERE cause
correct, and do not have to use function parameters?

So the ext/misc/series.c in the repository defines a virtual table
generate_series which effectively returns each "value" generated by the
statement:

for (value=start; value+=step; value<=stop) generate_the_value(value);

You can use it as either select value from generate_series(1,100,2); the hidden
columns are start, stop, step.  Equivalently you can do
select value from generate_series where start=1 and stop=100 and step=2;

---
lot about anticipated traffic volume.