On 9 Jul 2018, at 4:13pm, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> You can find (especially if you're willing to pay) standards for SQL since
> the 1992 one: 1999, 2003, 2006, 2008 etc..  However, they quickly became so
> large and complicated that no implementation of SQL implemented as much of
> the later standards as was done for the 1992 version.

I wanted to emphasise a point that Thomas Kurz made.  The 1992 standard was
made publicly available for free.  Therefore many implementors got hold of it
and followed it, and discussion of behaviour could refer back to the standard
to clarify what implementations should and should not be doing.  It's fully in
the spirit of Open Standard.

The 2008 version of the standard is not bad.  But you're meant to pay the ISO
for a copy, and there are many limitations on posting quotes in public.  As you
can imagine, this greatly hampers discussion of behaviour and identification of
bugs.

Part 1 of the current standard, ISO/IEC 9075-1:2016, for example, is 78 pages
long and costs CHF178 (= 150 Euro = US$180).  I didn't look up all the prices,
but part 14 (sic) is 444 (sic) pages long and costs CHF198 (= 170 Euro =
US$200).  I would encounter some difficulty in writing software to conform to a
444 page document if I couldn't discuss that document with people outside my
organisation.

Far from an Open Standard.  Which is why you will rarely see it quoted.

Simon.