On 30 Aug 2018, at 5:51pm, Randall Smith <rsm...@qti.qualcomm.com> wrote:

> Are there accepted or best practices in the industry for handling this in
> general, or with SQLite in particular?  Can anyone who has implemented this
> make useful suggestions?  Or are there published resources I am missing?

Roger has provided an example of upgrading databases within SQLite, where your
existing database is in SQLite, and you intend to continue working with SQLite.
 However, a truly paranoid organisation might think SQLite might fail entirely.
 It would institute a requirement that it be easy to export your data from
SQLite in a form readable by other systems.

SQLite allows this using its precompiled binary tool.  This allows you to turn
any SQLite database into a text file containing the SQL commands required to
reconstruct that database.  The text can be immediately processed by any other
program which understands SQL, or it can be processed by any text-processing
program to massage the format into an alternative format some other SQL system
might prefer.

Unless you feel that nothing that understands SQL will survive, this should
satisfy such a requirement.

Simon.