thanks for that. I had forgotten about taking a look at the source code. All clear now.
Graham

On 20-10-2018 12:29 am, Jay Kreibich wrote:
On Oct 19, 2018, at 3:30 AM, Graham Hardman <gra...@gh-designs.net> wrote:

Hi,

I am curious about what this option does. It is not discussed in the
documentation and my own testing with the shell program has not aided my
understanding. A simple example would be nice.

It controls how data is output to files/stdout.

Only relevant on Windows; does absolutely nothing on all other platforms.

sqlite-amalgamation-3250200/shell.c:200:

/* On Windows, we normally run with output mode of TEXT so that \n characters ** are automatically translated into \r\n. However, this behavior needs ** to be disabled in some cases (ex: when generating CSV output and when
** rendering quoted strings that contain \n characters).  The following
** routines take care of that.
*/
#if defined(_WIN32) || defined(WIN32)
static void setBinaryMode(FILE *file, int isOutput){
  if( isOutput ) fflush(file);
  _setmode(_fileno(file), _O_BINARY);
}
static void setTextMode(FILE *file, int isOutput){
  if( isOutput ) fflush(file);
  _setmode(_fileno(file), _O_TEXT);
}
#else