On 5 Dec 2018, at 12:22pm, Ryan Schmidt <sql...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> Since I don't know what else may have gone wrong with the contents of the
> registry by this point, it seems safer to erase the MacPorts installation and
> start fresh. This will take a bit longer as every port has to be re-fetched
> and re-installed but at least I'll have confidence in the integrity of the
> registry.

I agree with your diagnosis.  Your software has used the corrupted database and
made incorrect changes to it because it trusted corrupt information.
Unfortunate.  Since you do have the ability to build a new dataset from
scratch, I think that's the best way.

I still have no better idea of the cause of the corruption.  I'd imagine you're
still considering what you found in "howtocorrupt".

Simon.