Nice one Simon,

as a resident Australian (and a lover of levity) I liked your link, which
led me on to the data source. I took a pair of those 15 digit coordinates
and pumped them into good old Google maps but sadly I was unable to zoom in
far enough to see any chlorine atoms. :-(. Shame that.

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 16:50, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> Please allow me a little levity, spinning off an earlier discussion of how
> many digits a decimal number type needs to store.
>
> <https://www.datafix.com.au/BASHing/2019-03-31.html>
>
> " Carbrook, for instance, is at -27.673862 153.25624 and at
> -27.673861999297635 153.256240000388146.
>
> [...] those 15-place figures locate the suburb's latitude to the nearest
> tenth of a nanometre, about half the diameter of a chlorine atom. "
>
> First, spot the '999' and '0000' suggesting a problem.  Second wonder
> whether anyone read the data.
>
> Apart from that, the article is complimentary about the format used for
> making a lot of data easily searchable.  So it's a nice example to use when
> talking about care with data preparation.

Regards,
     Michael.j.Falconer.