On 8/30/19 9:11 AM, Alexander Gabriel wrote:
> Hi
>
> I do this:
>
>    - restart windows10 or macOS and log in (to guarantee no other process
>    is using sqlite3)
>    - cd to the folder where sqlite3 v3.29.0 is contained
>    - type `sqlite3` (windows 10) or `./sqlite3` (macOS) to start sqlite3
>    - type `.open test`, followed by `.save test`
>
> Result: `Error: database is locked`
>
> What am I doing wrong?
> How can I change configuration if I can never save changes?
>
> The only time I can save without an error is when I `.save test2` without
> having opened it before.
>
> Alex

Databases are different than things like Word Documents. When you issue
command that modify the database, the database on disk is immediately
changed (subject to being in a transaction that can be rolled back), so
you don't need to 'save' a database after working with it. The 'Save'
command is basically similar to the 'Save As' command for a document.

Since the database is current open, trying to save back over the
original copy can't be done, as it is open for reading, and also doesn't
need to be done.

--
Richard Damon