On 11/19/19 12:32 AM, Scott Robison wrote:
On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 3:44 PM Dennis Clarke <dcla...@blastwave.org> wrote:

Same question as a few days ago.

This may have been asked many times before but always seems to be a
valid question.  On some machines with different compilers I get good
results using C99 strict compliance. On other machines, such as those
running Red Hat Enterprise Linux, I get terrible results.

Per https://www.sqlite.org/howtocompile.html it is "ANSI-C". C89 is the
ANSI-C standard, C90 is the first ISO-C standard. They are practically
identical.

Note that it is not strict ANSI-C, since ANSI-C doesn't provide for 64 bit
integers, and it does not provide for platform specific APIs or functions.
But as much as is possible, it is written to work with standard C as it has
existed for about 30 years now.

The code never passes its own test suite on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
when compiled with strict C90 flags.  In fact, the process segfaults.
Actually it is worse than that. The strict C90 flags cause the gcc
compiler to fail entirely due to the use of "asm" in the code.

Yes I have tried gcc 9.2.0 and the whole process fails in the tests
and no it will not compile as C90 code.

Dennis Clarke