On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 at 06:19, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> Note that "in-process" and "embedded" are not adequate substitutes for
> "serverless".  An RDBMS might be in-process or embedded but still be
> running a server in a separate thread. In fact, that is how most
> embedded RDBMSes other than SQLite work, if I am not much mistaken.

I think embedded does capture SQLite well though. For a lot of devs the
target API is the important thing, and whether there are threads behind the
scenes is something of an implementation detail. But it is certainly a nice
feature of SQLite's implementation, perhaps "embedded, threadless" would
work to clarify that (although it's not an objectively true description
once WORKER_THREADS enter the equation).

"in-thread" also has a certain appeal - it's not a term I've seen used
before but it makes sense as a stronger version of "in-process."

I can't find any general terms for a library which spawns threads vs. one
which doesn't.
-Rowan