I've just lost a couple of days' worth of data when my app crashed.  (Well, the
data wasn't a total loss thanks to backup plans, but the database itself
essentially reverted to its state of 2 days ago.)  This is despite my app doing
a COMMIT after every modification of the DB.

Any chance of being the OS file system that "rollbacked" the files
after the crash?

I've seen this before after a Windows CE based machine (with flash
memory as disk) crashed. I would assume NTFS on Windows machines can
do the same.

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas