I've noticed that more than one contributor to this list has referred to
sqlite as a "flat file database."  I had always thought of a flat file as a
file composed of single table of records, with records defined either by
fixed-width allocations or by some sort of delimiter (e.g., comma-separated
files).

The article below seems to agree, though a more "broad" definition would
also include simple tables with no relationships.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat-file

By either definition, it would seem that an sqlite database file is far, far
from flat.

My purpose is not to argue terms for their own sake, but instead:
   1) If I'm correct, then it could really confuse those new to sqlite into
thinking it very different from the relational, b-tree indexed database that
it is, or
   2) If instead, I'm unaware of another popular use of the term "flat file"
-- then I'd be glad to learn this.

[Opinions are my own, not those of my company]