From: Allan, Mark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 09 March 2007 16:23
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Subject: [sqlite] journal - "Unable to open the database file"

I have been using SQLite as a replacement for MS Access for use in a PC
application. It works well but we have been experiencing the following
problem when the database file is located on a network drive. We are getting
"Unable to open the database file" when trying to start a new transaction.
Investigating this it appeared the reason this was happening was that the
journal file is open by another process and cannot be deleted. SQLite cannot
delete it and neither can I manually via explorer. After much investiagtion
with out IT department it looks like the reason this was open is that
Microsoft Windows Desktop Search (a file indexer program) has opened it. I
am still unsure why it keeps it open and does not allow for anyone other
than an admin to delete it. A file may stay in this state for hours before
mysteriously disappearing of its own accord. If we configure Windows Desktop
Search to ignore the folder, we do not get (or at least we have not yet got)
this problem.

Basically I would like to:-
1) Make this problem known to the community.
2) Ask if anyone has experienced anything like this?
3) Ask if anyone can offer any advise us as to what we can do to get around
the problem of a journal file being locked and SQLite cannot delete it?
Because at the moment if this situation occurs no one can write to that Db
until the journal file has gone. Which is quite a severe problem...

Thanks

Mark

DISCLAIMER:
This information and any attachments contained in this email message is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and
exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or copying of this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
email, and delete the original message immediately.