From: Dennis Cote [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 28 March 2007 15:41
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Difference in these indices?

RB Smissaert wrote:
> As to quotes etc.
> As my code works fine as it is I probably will leave this as the double
> quotes look ugly and it will be a reasonably big job to alter all this.
> Did I get you right that the only benefit of doing create "table1" etc.
> is compatibility with running sqlite with SQLite.exe?

The benefit to using standard quoting for identifiers is portability.
Your table definitions will almost certainly be rejected by almost any
other database engine. Most don't support the same extended quoting
rules that sqlite has added for compatibility with files coming from
other sources.

If adding the escaped quotes to the SQL generation statements doesn't
work for you, then you could create a simple function that adds the
escaped quotes to your identifier variables. If you simplify the problem
and assume you will never use double quote characters in your identifier
names themselves this function is very simple;

    Function Quote(id As String) As String
        Quote = """" & id & """"
    End Function

and your code becomes something like this.

    strTable = "table1"
    strColumn = "ID"
    strSQL = "create " & Quote(strTable) & "(" & Quote(strColumn) & "
INTEGER PRIMARY KEY)"

HTH
Dennis Cote