> >> Does
> >> using separate databases and attaching them improve concurrency (by
> >> providing finer-grained locking)?
> >
> > Yes it does. You can open a connection to a memory database, store each
> table
> > in a separate database and attach  them if needed. I'v already changed
> > sqlite to do it transparently. It still has a lot of bugs, but it has
> > already proven to work. But if you don't mind attaching databases manually
> > originall sqlite will work perfectly.
>

> As stated above, not needed if you avoid using BEGIN EXCLUSIVE.

It is impossible to write to 2 tables even with default transaction.
It is impossible to insert inside a select callback.
Seeing numerous "Table is locked" topics I think there are lots of other
impossible things to do.
And commit does appear at some time, so reading should be synchronized
outside of SQLite (or perhaps repeated when error occures).
Attach allows to forget about those problems and makes possible table level
locks instead of database level locks.