--- Chris Eich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks, I tried both 3.3.13 and 3.4.0. With 3.3.13 the +'s didn't make a
> difference; the loops always were in d, dpi order with index dpi1 used. With
> 3.4.0 the loops were always in dpi, d order with index dpi1 used, unless I
> used CROSS JOIN.

Index loop order selection aside - the only question is which
EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN yields the fastest query for your dataset?

Could you post the result of these queries?

  select count(*) from device;
  select count(*) from device_perf_interval;
  select count(distinct device_id) from device_perf_interval;

I can see if the number of rows in device is small relative to dpi,
then it would favor (d, dpi). Otherwise it would favor (dpi, d)
since there are no constraints on device in your query and fewer
rows would be eliminated prior to the join.