RB Smissaert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
Thanks; I have seen this O(N) etc. explanations a lot, but not sure
what they exactly mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation

Roughly, we say that an algorithm has complexity O(N) (where N is the size of its input) when there exists some constant C such that the running time of an algorithm on this input is no more than C*N.

and for each entry would perform a logN

Does the logN here mean m log N or something else?

Yes, logN is the same as log N or log(N) - a logarithm of N.

m==N/logN

Ditto, does this mean break even point roughly when m equals N / (m
log N) ?

There's no "m" on the right hand side. m equals N divided by logarithm of N.

Igor Tandetnik