At 8:46 PM -0600 1/13/08, Rick Langschultz wrote:
I was wondering what would constitute the creation of SQLite 4.0?

Since the VDBE is being revamped I would consider this a pretty big revamp of the SQLite code. I am looking forward to testing this out new engine out.

I also wanted to know what the difference between stack based and register based is. Unfortunately, i do not mess with a lot of C / C++ code in my work. So I was a little curious.

Although I would have considered the current large update to be 3.6.0 material, I definitely do *not* consider it to be 4.0.0 material.

Major version updates (such as to 4.0) should not be done lightly, and should only be done for things like large or particularly incompatible database file format changes, such as the 2.x to 3.x update was, or for large or incompatible API changes, either way things that users could have no excuse not to notice.

So I agree with Richard's current versioning plan concerning this.

-- Darren Duncan