I have a table with two variables, say A and B (both integers). The
table is rather large - around 2.9 GB on disk. Every combination of
(A,B) occurs only once. I am creating a unique index as
   CREATE UNIQUE INDEX ABidx ON abtable (A,B)
It seems that the (A,B) index is created much slower than the (B,A)
index. I am wondering about the reason for this. My - very limited -
understanding was that sqlite needs to search over the whole database
for every (A,B) combination. Could someone give a quick pointer to
where the index strategy is described? Would this be quicker if I fit
the whole database into memory?

Kasper