Thanks John & Dennis;
Looks like I am getting ahead of myself here. I'm just doing a simple
PIM app as a BASH script that uses SQLite to store data. Probably I
can't do this in a script as you could in C.

I find the formating of the text from a file is not saved if I read it
and insert it into a table, so I was hoping there was a way to save the
binary file and thus preserve all the formatting. Also it would let me
save images etc. in the database.

When I get back to learning Python, maybe one of the SQLite wrappers
will help me do this more easily. My present program is really just a
way to get started until I move to Python. Also, it is good practice in
BASH scripting, SQL and basic usage of SQLite.

Thanks for your information.
Fred