On Mar 29, 2008, at 12:34 AM, Jerry Krinock wrote:
> Someone sent me an sqlite database file.
>
> Opening in Mac OS 10.5 with the built-in sqlite 3.4.0, no problems.
>
> Opening in Mac OS 10.4 with the built-in sqlite 3.1.3, any query
> returns sqlite error 1, "unsupported file format".
>
> Similar files from other users open in either Mac OS/sqlite version.
>
> I'd thought that sqlite3 databases were generally backward-
> compatible.  Is there any way to find out what is "unsupported" by
> sqlite 3.1.3 in this database?

The databases are backwards compatible.  The database you
are having trouble with is created by a more recent version of
SQLite and uses features that were not added until after 3.1.3.

Backwards compatible means that newer versions of SQLite
can open any historic database.  You are trying to open a newer
database with an historic version of SQLite - that would be
forwards compatibility.  SQLite is generally forwards compatible,
except when the newer database uses features which were
added later.

The added feature is probably a descending index.

D. Richard Hipp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]