On Apr 6, 2008, at 5:12 PM, John Stanton wrote:
> Not a hack, but the traditional way to store dates and times.  Sqlite
> functions use a magic epoch which facilitates the presentation of the
> date and time in the form of the major calendars.
>
> We do not use the Julian calendar these days.  It was supplanted by
> the
> Gregorian in 1582.  Julian refers to defining a date by offset from an
> epoch and is the preferred method of storing date and time.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_day

Note that "Julian" in Julian Day Number and Julian Calendar
refer to two different people named Julius.  The Julian Day Number
Julian is Julius Scaliger, the father of the guy who invented
the julian day number in 1583.  Julian in Julian Calendar refers to
Julius Caesar, the Roman emperor.

The date and time routines in SQLite use the Gregorian calendar.

D. Richard Hipp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]