[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I apologize if this is off topic but wouldn't it be better to use some
> standard discussion board, like PHPBB  instead of mailing list? It is pain to
> use mailing lists (you have couple of them for sqlite), ((un)registration,
> posting, receiving tons of e-mails, searching, etc.).
> Message from my other free email was rejected because of it's IP was listed
> at some spam list. I think mailing lists worked fine 20 years ago but does it
> have any advantage today ? :)
> Rado

Email lists have several important advantages over typical web boards, as I
see it:

1.  All the discussion details come to my email box that I regularly check,
so I can be aware of and respond to things quickly if I choose.  By
contrast with a web board, I'd have to go out of my way to remember to
periodically check in with the board to see if anything interesting came
up, and often I would forget to do so.  This all said, it is very useful to
see web archives of the email lists to browse.

2.  With email lists, its easy to have a local archive of the list, at
least if one downloads their emails to their computers, so our records stay
and are searchable if the list disappears or the internet goes off.

3.  Email programs are typically easier to use, and are more reliable.

I may have missed some points.

This all said, I recognize some advantages of BBs over email.

I think the best option is a hybrid.  Have some database-backed system with
both a web interface and an email interface, and people can choose to
connect one or both ways.  Any messages posted on the web interface go to
the email users, and vice-versa.  Then you have both a web archive of
everything, and local users can have their own archive too.

Perhaps more specifically I suggest a hybrid of what things like Yahoo
Groups provides, and a bulletin board.  But I don't know if those tools
exist yet.

-- Darren Duncan