What I'm trying to do is get the query strings that are stored in category
executed against the text stored in data.  Category is essentially a fixed
set of content, whilst data changes.  I could just step through category and
execute each query individually, but I was looking for a way to do it in a
single operation.

Basically ' which contain _any_ of the 'query' items from 'category'? '