Without creating a .DEF file for MSVC to use, you need to tell it which
functions to "export".
The easiest way to do this is with the __declspec(dllexport).

You should modify the rtree.c source file and add the following before each
public function:
   __declspec(dllexport)

So for instance, line 2772:
   int sqlite3_extension_init(
becomes:
   __declspec(dllexport) int sqlite3_extension_init(

Hope this helps.
-Shane