With the recent discussions on R-Tree's and spherical coordinates (i.e.
latitude and longitude), I was wondering how boundary conditions would be
handled.
If I choose a location on the equator as far from the prime meridian as
possible, and try to query for all the locations "near" that,
within a given bounding rectangle, will it only return locations in 1
direction?

For example:

Choose starting location 0.0 lat, 180.0 long.  This is also the equivalent
location of 0.0 lat, -180.0 long, and very close to 0.0, -179.999.
If I choose a bounding rectangle of say 1 degree (-1,179; 1,179; -1,-179;
1,-179), since the R-Tree algorithms are using
planar-coordinate distances (or areas), want this miss locations across the
boundary, like 0.0, -179.999?

How is this typically handled?
-Shane