John & John,

   Actually my API used to be XML using SCEW a DOM like XML parser that uses
Expat.

   For my particular application RPC made more sense to me. What could be
easier than a function call? Another advantage was that I did not have to
create any functions. I am just using SQLite's C API. Now the users of my
application can query any table on the server side using select. Since my
application is a network server, and network debugging capability is
crucial.
The only ugliness is that select locks the tables. I wish D. Hipp would give
us an option for pStmt to create a temporary table of the select result set
and delete that temp table after finalize automatically. This way a client
can sit on a prepare/step for a long time.

   I solved the endian issue pretty easy by sending the type code.

Thanks,
-Alex