Hi John,
Re. Javascript being slow you may be interested in EJScript which is
an Embedded Javascript implementation with a Native Code Compiler.
See: http://www.ejscript.org/products/ejs/doc/guide/ejs/language/overview.html
and http://www.ejscript.org  I have not (yet) used it so can't comment
further.

I also use JSON with SQLite and have C/C++ code to parse and build a
tree (DOM) from JSON. Along with some simple JSON Path style lookup.

And re. Sockets and doubles. I've written a layer that basically
sends/receives variants using sockets. If you are familiar with
Boost::Any it is like that, however I use different implementation.

Best regards,
  Neville Franks, http://www.surfulater.com http://blog.surfulater.com