On Jul 12, 2008, at 11:08 AM, Dan wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2008, at 2:42 AM, Steve Friedman wrote:
>

>> Filip Navara wrote:
>>> how about actually attaching the patch? :)
>>>
>>> - Filip

> What kind of advantages does using int over float have here?
>
> With a little work it might be possible to select int or float at
> runtime. Do other people who know about such things think that this
> would be a good option to have?

An important class of problems use all 32bits of an integer. Simply
don't have enough bits in a 32bit float to cover integer range.

Perhaps the implementation just looks at the type supplied on the
create table statement. To keep things simple throw an error of they
are not all the same type or are of an unsupported type.

Unsigned ints should be supported!